We all know that healthy well-adjusted children will have more success in their learning. As one of Parkland School Division’s four goals, PSD is committed to student success and well-being. I have supported and fostered physical literacy(being aware of the multitude of ways to stay active), lifelong health, and well-being, at all school levels.
Following are only a few examples of wellness initiatives in Parkland School Division:
- PSD has a full time Wellness Coordinator to provide programming supports and services aimed at fostering wellness within all PSD schools.
- PSD is highly involved in the Health Summit as part of a group of community organizers, social workers, public health professionals, educators and concerned citizens in the Parkland Tri-Area who are working on what supports are needed and where they can be provided.
- Health Champions: a staff member in each school works, with assistance, to develop an annual action plan to promote healthier lifestyles for our students.
- Play Parkland: works with Canadian Sport 4 Life and Ever Active Schools to build capacity to explore various forms of and opportunities for physical activity in selected schools.
- Grab ‘N’ Go Breakfast Program: works with our business community to support school breakfast programs in schools of highest need.
- Tower Gardens: with help from Toronto Dominion Friends of the Environment Foundation, 27 aeroponic indoor gardening towers enhance learning and support nutritious food cultivation.
- Try-Me-Try-Athlon: held each year in June designed to offer youth the opportunity to experience the sport of triathlon in a positive environment where all are winners.
- Rainbow Connection: created to increase the amount of vegetables and fruit children eat each day (is a resource for parents and students).
- Partnerships with our Business Community: We have received grants from Toronto Dominion Bank, Royal Bank of Canada (children’s mental health grant), donations of food from a variety of supermarkets and much more.
So, it is very evident that Parkland School Division is providing essential supports in the area of Student Wellness and we are expanding our programs to meet student and community needs.